George and I left home to head to London to take part in our second part of the London Open HouseWeekend. We arrived at The Round House in Havering-Atte-Bower.
The Round House, Broxhill Road, is a three-storey house built for William Sheldon in the 1790s.It stands on the crest of the ridge, with views north and south. The plan, which is elliptical, is similar to that of Ickworth (Suff.). Most of the original fittings survive, and some early-19th-century wallpapers. The house was long the home of the Revd. J. H. Pemberton (d. 1926), the rose-grower.
We waited in the garden for our 1530 hrs tour.
London Borough of Havering,. It was one of three former parishes whose area comprised the historic Royal Liberty of Havering.The village has been the location of a number of palaces and large houses including Bower House, The Round House, Pyrgo Palace and Havering Palace.
The village is steeped in royal history. Edward the Confessor was the first royal to take interest in the area as he established a hunting lodge here which over the years would become a palace or 'bower' and it is believed, though disputed, that he may have died in the house that he had loved so much before being buried at Westminster Abbey.
Rev Joseph Pemberton and his sister the house was briefly tenanted before being requisitioned during the 1940-1945 period. It was used by the army for the holding of its own miscreants and as a store for furniture from bombed houses.
Unfortunately the placing of sandbags around the house encouraged damp leading to severe wet and dry rot and woodworm infestation.
In 1952 E.M Heap purchased the house in a bad state of repair. Diseased timbers were replaced and treated the remaining and made the house waterproof again.
His son Micheal was given the house in 1977 and with his wife they were determined to restore it as their home.
The kitchen was moved from the basement to the ground floor, it no longer being appropriate for food to be prepared in the cellar and be bought up by servants.
Bathrooms and central heating was installed bringing it up to modern standards but in keeping with the original building.
After a brief tour of the basement we went up the spiral staircase up to ground floor.
We had a tour of each floor and its various rooms. On the top floor the ceiling up the skylight had an amazing painted ceiling.
|The water tower|